May 12, 2018
GREAT DEBATE ON MAY 19! Runoff election – get out and vote and Happy Hours
1. MONTHLY MEETING AND DEBATE: We are extremely honored to host a congressional candidate debate just two days before the runoff between two great candidates vying to replace our long term tea party representative to Congress.
On Saturday, May 19, 2018, Sun City Ballroom (Refreshments, coffee and social time at 9:30 and program at 10:00 a.m.)
The candidates in the congressional runoff, Christine Mann and MJ Hegar will appear and debate the issues important to Sun City Democrats. The debate will be moderated by Patrick Svitek, the primary political correspondent for The Texas Tribune. Half of the questions will be from audience submissions. Those who wish to submit a question should write it on a 5×8 card or sheet of paper and turn them in when they enter the ballroom.
2. VOTE Please go vote in the Primary Runoff Election – May 22, 2018
Early voting starts Monday, May 14, 2018 and ends Friday, May 18, 2018. See SunCityDems.org for the May 22 Sample Ballot
3. HAPPY HOURS The next Happy Hour is on May 24, at 3:30 at Legacy Grill. The next one after that will be on June 14. Please come out and enjoy a drink and pleasant conversation with fellow Democrats. Several new residents and prospective members appear at these events, please welcome them!
4. Did you know voter turnout in Georgetown is extremely low and that candidates often win or loose by less than 100 votes! If the SunCityDems get out to vote for progressive candidates, we can effect real change in our city, county and congressional district! When you go vote on May 22, please invite your Democratic neighbors to go, too.
April 5, 2018
Subject: New Happy Hour dates. Must attend events: Discussion Group on Wednesday, April 11. April 14- General Meeting on April 14, program changes and BIG IMPACT EVENT with the future governor, on April 15.
1. Summer Happy Hours:
SunCityDems Happy Hours will be on April 12 and April 26, at Legacy Grill. May Happy Hours will be May 10 and 24. Watch SunCityDems.org for June, July events. Note: Mulligan’s at the old Putters location is set to open in December, we hope to go back there.
2. The Democratic Discussion Group:
The Democratic Discussion Group on April 11 at 2:00 p.m. at Cowan will feature a dynamic discussion led by Genevieve Van Cleve who will give a political update for central Texas and review some opportunities headed our way. (See her resume below.)
3. Democratic Monthly Meeting is rescheduled for April 14th:
Sun City Ballroom — Coffee 9:30 Meeting 10 a.m.
Refreshments, coffee and social time at 9:30 and program at 10:00 a.m.
The program has changed! The April monthly meeting program features candidates in the May 5 local election: Mary Calixtro – Georgetown City Council Dist 1, Stevie Nicole Jones – Georgetown ISD Place 6, and Jaquita Wilson-Georgetown ISD Place 7. Come hear from the people on the ballot.
The candidates in the congressional runoff, Christine Mann and MJ Hegar will be here in at the May meeting, keep watching SunCityDems.org for details.
- Note: We will be asking attendees to sit organized by precinct! You can find your new precinct number on your voter registration card or by going to the Wilco County Elections site and entering your address. We will have lists at the meeting but will save time by knowing your precinct number in advance. See http://www.wilco.org/Departments/Elections click on voter lookup.
4. IMPACT event on April 15, starting at 5:00 p.m.
In attendance will be the two run off candidates for GOVERNOR OF TEXAS! We will get to meet the next governor! See details at SunCityDems.org and get details on how to get your tickets to this great event.